OPP SPEEDING STOP YIELDS STOLEN VEHICLE
(WAWA, ON) - On February 29, 2020, members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police were conducting speed enforcement on Highway 17 approximately 25 kilometers south of Wawa, Ontario.
At 3:48 p.m., police observed a motor vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed. Officers initiated a traffic stop in Peterson Township and spoke with the driver. Further investigation revealed that the vehicle was stolen and that the driver had provided a false name to police.
As a result of the investigation, Emanuel ESPINOLA, 43 years of age, from Toronto, Ontario, was arrested and charged with the following:
- Possession Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000, contrary to section 355(a) of the Criminal Code (CC),
- Possession Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000, contrary to section 355(b) of the CC,
- Obstruct Peace Officer, contrary to section 129(a) of the CC,
- Personation with intent to avoid arrest, prosecution or obstruct justice, contrary to section 403(1)(d) of the CC,
- Operation While Prohibited under the Criminal Code (Three Counts), contrary to section 320.18(1)(a) of the CC,
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance - Cocaine, contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA),
- Driving while under suspension (Three Counts), contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA),
- Driving while under suspension - while suspended under HTA Sec 41/42 (Three Counts), contrary to section 53(1.1) of the HTA,
- Use other person's licence, contrary to section 35(1)(d) of the HTA.
The accused was remanded into custody pending a bail hearing on March 2, 2020, in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario.