Wynne Liberals announce budget date, higher taxes and deeper cuts expected
QUEEN’S PARK – Today, the Wynne Liberals announced the date for their upcoming so-called “balanced” budget, which is set to be released on April 27, 2017.
“After 14 years in power, the Liberals have made life unaffordable for Ontario families and businesses. They’ve created a hydro crisis, made housing unaffordable, and slashed health care services,” said Ontario PC Finance Critic Vic Fedeli after Minister Sousa’s speech.
Fedeli noted that while the Liberals have promised to balance the budget, this will likely be nothing more than a shell game. “The only way a balance will be possible is through even higher taxes, deeper cuts to our schools and hospitals, and the fire sale of Hydro One,” said Fedeli.
Policy experts and stakeholders, including the Auditor General and the Financial Accountability Office, have raised flags about the Liberals’ promised balance.
Earlier in the week, the Ontario PCs had written to Minister Charles Sousa with their budget requests, which included a long-term plan to control Ontario’s more than $300 billion debt, a moratorium on school closures, making cap-and-trade revenue neutral, addressing the roots of Ontario’s hydro crisis, and addressing unaffordable housing.
“We can only hope the Wynne Liberals will listen to our requests. The people of Ontario who are working harder, paying more, and getting less are depending on it,” added Fedeli. “They cannot afford to be left behind by yet another Wynne Liberal budget.”
The PCs also called on the Liberal Government to end their speculation in the housing market, which has seen some people’s rent double.
“Landlords, tenants, and builders will be left waiting in limbo. The Wynne Liberals need to release the details of their housing plan immediately, before anybody else is hurt by all of this reckless speculation,” concluded Fedeli.